Yay for another preparation day!! Sis Kwok and I went to the planetarium and watched a movie about sea creatures. It was sweet! And in 3D! It's always nice to have some form of entertainment besides myself and the people around.
Speaking of which, there was this crazy native american guy one day as we were walking home. He was standing on the corner of the crosswalk with his arms stretched out in Jesus-fashion (as in, the Christus) and he was glaring at something. Sis Kwok said he was cursing something.
Crazy number two was this guy that had a referral for us but then went off about hippies and the war and comparing that to the vietnam war and something about hypocrites. Insane. But that same day we met this guy from CA who was amazing and had a great spirit about him; he was telling us about how he thought Americans' lives were not as full because they didn't make it about families and that's where the real happiness is found in life.
We agreed and he went off on a tour of Temple Square but it was really just amazing to talk with him. I also got to chat with a guy that believed in a higher power, an energy if you will, but not necessarily a being. I didn't get the chance to talk with him too long (he seemed like he was headed somewhere) but he was searching for something and I think that's the case with a lot of people. Many times they just don't know what it is they are looking for.
There was a large unitarian universalist conference here and we got to talk with a lot of the people that were attending that. A big thing I noticed is that they believe that people all just need to find a religion that fits for them; it doesn't have to be one religion. I respect that belief and it's cool that they are kind of a pseudo-religion/social organization that accepts all faiths believing that they're all headed in the same direction. That each faith has truths...sound familiar?
I wanted so much to help them realize that there is a church with all of those truths united into one, but one is afraid of offending people and most people give me a knowing smile glad that I have my faith but feeling pretty confident that they know better. Ah well. At least they're not afraid of us missionaries like the members are.
Favorite member situation so far [hands up in warning] "I'm a member, I'm active, I go to the temple," [walks away]. Lovely! I'm glad that I can't help him today. psh. Members make me laugh sometimes.
I got to go to the This is the Place park for Zone conference and we got to talk more about invitations and giving better tours. Invitations, in that we ask people if they're interested in receiving more info on the church, having missionaries come over to answer any questions or to bring them a DVD or the Book of Mormon. I have found that difficult as I've gone around on temple square because we're not there to be tour guides; we're there to tell people about the church and give them that opportunity. So we were able to talk about trying to meet people's needs and make it less "preachy". So great conference and great park. It's like a reenactment park. I saw a baby lamb and the gross stuff that comes out of the ewe...eww. that wasn't intended and maybe is not so missionary-inspiring. sorry. but true!
Anyway, I hope you are all doing well. For my friend who I think got married this past week but never received an announcement or picture regarding the date, etc...I would say congratulations but who knows if it happened or not. Also you are all able to email me ( I know that snail mail is not much fun) at sisterhulet@myldsmail.net. Write me! I'll send you a letter!
Take care and be good!
Love, sister hulet
P.s. Kaycee! did you get my letter? I saw Sis Matos' sister this past week!

Post a Comment