WHEN I UP, DOWN, TOUCH THE GROUND PUTS ME IN THE MOOD
Ok subject line=line from winnie the pooh's song for those you that were cool enough to see those cartoons. It continues and says "up down touch the ground in the mood....[smacks lips twice] for food."
It's delightful. In case you were wondering, that's what I do for exercises in the morning. Up-downs :) (and that will only be funny for Hulet progeny and parents, so sorry you missed that one).
Actually, we do exercising at the nearby church gym, the field or running up and down the hall or around the parking garage. It's...kind of the same thing everyday. Which, now that I mention it, is a lot like the work here. I generally have a hard time thinking of what to type because I meet such different people each and every day and it all sort of blends into one continuous time period. Hmmm but let me think...oh! I know!
I told you all about the native american cursing man and I heard, although possibly just a rumor, that he comes every single day to the square and stares at the temple. He does so, because something happened to his wife and child a while ago and he believes that they're being held hostage in the temple. Oh yes. For those of you out there, his wife and child are in no way being held hostage there. poor man.
What else can I tell you? I met a woman from Italy who walked in and said "I want to know more about this religion". Golden!
Actually there was also a woman from Sweden who did that. It was amazing! So hopefully they'll have missionaries that will visit them and tell them all they want to know. It's truly truly amazing to me the people that come with a sincere desire to know more about the church. Of course we have had our share of the people against the church that show up. It makes it interesting because they all ask the same questions, use the same arguments, and still don't listen to the answer. The frustrating part is that they're blinding themselves to something that could be really great for them if they'd only try and see the truth in it rather than immediately come to SLC wanting only to prove us wrong. A lot of them come up as church camps.
I think I had another good member story but...nothing comes to mind and heaven forbid I should repeat a story (that's for you becky).
hmmmm....it has been a really good week, I just don't know why. I did get to present a tour to a large motorcoach for the first time this past week. It was English and at the end we gave everyone a guest card to fill out and said "We'll give you some time to fill out the guest card and then give you this pamphlet". Response? Blank stares. I had no idea what it was that didn't make sense to them. Try again: "You're welcome to fill out the cards with any comments or request any information if you'd like...." Blank stares and no movement. "You're all welcome to leave" ta da! that worked to get everyone moving but no one filled out the card except lovely lady #47 who told us she couldn't hear most of the time and our words ran together and she missed the history but it was otherwise enlightening. That's ok though. I can take it :)
Hmmm....I would like to say that I made my comp Sis Kwok some Muddy Buddies and guess who didn't like them? So I don't bother cooking for her. We'd rather cook together and eat sushi. So great! It's my favorite now.
Ok down to the real business. So last transfer ended and I recognized on my part that I wasn't doing the best that I could. I felt it was ok to go with a "Hi, how are you?" and let people go with a smile, but I have a new determination to teach these people. I know and you know that they come here for a reason, but they don't know that. So we gently ease ourselves into their little hearts with a joke and start teaching them. I've seen as I've prayed for greater faith and greater boldness that it's been easier to get to know the person and identify what it is they are looking for in life and then apply it to something in the gospel of Jesus Christ, something in the bible, some part of the church that relates to them to spark some interest in the church. It's been amazing. And I've decided that it doesn't matter who the member is, I'm going to give them that opportunity to share the gospel, albeit indirectly, through myself and Sis Kwok.
I've also been reading more of Jesus the Christ and a friend (who recently came back from his mission) had told me (while on his mission) that it just changed the whole way he thought about Christ. It's so true though. As I've read, I've gained a better appreciation for who Christ was and how He got to be that way. It's made me think more about how I need to be more patient with myself as I improve little by little and how as long as I do my best with what I have now, it's good enough.
So keep working hard with what you have, keep praying for me, and keep finding opportunities to lift up and serve one another.
This week I saw Kurt and Helena (now married!!) and Amy and Colby Peck. That was cool.
That's all. Sorry it's soo scattered-brained. I'll be prepared next week (maybe...).
Love, Sister Hulet
PS!! PS!! I saw (two days in a row!!) this lady walking AND breast-feeding a baby at the same time! So more advice: Don't do that!

Post a Comment