Whew. ok, I have to type double time. I have ten minutes to write this and, as always, so much to say.
Ok so we're coming up on the end of the transfer (but still, as far as you know, I've been here "under a year"). It's been quick and yet not so quick. It's funny trying to imagine what another year and 3 months of this will be like. I'm excited though.
Every night it's hard to remember exactly what I did that day. It's even harder to imagine the days before. We meet SOOO many people. So, highlights....hmm. First of all, we went to Welfare Square for P-day today and it was really cool how much work the church does for people that are less-advantaged and for humanitarian purposes. If you ever get the chance to go, do it.
I'm trying to think of people i met....some weird people as always. There is a guy that comes pretty much everyday (we can't decide if he's homeless or not) whose wife died a while ago. He walks around and likes to tell jokes to the sisters to "help brighten [our] day because [we] brighten [his]". I shared with him the cinderblock joke and he really liked it (he asked me multiple times to repeat it so he could tell other people). Success! Someone thinks I'm funny!
Also, we met this really amazing kid today who is from PA. His family are all JW's and are trying to really force him to be one as well. He's a member though and up until this summer, it's been 6 years since he's been able to go to church. He was soo so happy to be here in SLC and was just taking everything in that he could so that he could take it with him as he returned to PA. He's 15 and he wants to go to BYU and he just wants so much to go to church and be active but can't because of his grandmother and father. It made me sad and I felt so useless because we couldn't help him. He'll be good though. He's pretty strong.
It's been interesting this week as I'm trying to learn to be better about being able to teach right off. Often people will say things that will tip me off about something that relates to the gospel and I want soo much for them to want to learn more so that they can truly have the blessing of the gospel in their lives. For instance, a woman who was very much into meditation and very spiritual but didn't want to learn more about the church although I was able to relate with her with regards to the peace that one can find in the temple and reasons why only members of the church who have been able to prepare themselves are able to go in. But, she wasn't interested. Even after all we can do, people will still have their free agency.
A lot of the people will come and they'll be Christian and understand more that we, as members, are also Christian but they don't see the differences between our church and their church and feel content where they are. The problem I have is in asking people to change (by learning more) because people don't like change.
Anyway, I'll have to tell you about the antis that came later because I'm out of time. I love you all and am off to write letters to all of you that wrote. Thanks so much btw!! I love mail!!
Be good!
Sister Hulet

Post a Comment