It's snowing outside!! I'm so excited!! Anyway, I put up a Christmas Countdown on the White Board in the Sisters' lounge and there are 41 days til christmas!
I feel like a lot happened this week and yet, nothing comes to mind. Oh! First of all, we had a service project on Tuesday where we got to go rake leaves! I've been wanting to do that for a long time so I was really excited for that. To clarify, I've been wanting to rake leaves for a long time, not so much service :)
Also, Happy Birthday to Jen!! I hope you got my letter...sorry it wasn't as cool as it should have been. But just you wait :) Oh! I received my vaccination for the pig flu. So never fear. I'll be alive this winter.
Hmm...on some down time at the Humanitarian Center (I don't go to Welfare Square. it's the Humanitarian Center) some of the sister's discovered the fact that I know the words to pretty much every disney song there is. yep. so that was interesting. We got to show a bunch of youth around the Humanitarian Center and I got to make really lame jokes and get at least a couple chuckles. Oh, and Dad, you'd be proud (although if you saw the picture, maybe not) of me because I showed my skills of drawing a horse just like you did because a kid came and said he liked to draw. It was a pretty awful picture. I think I at least succeeded with the mane...
Hmmm...I'm really trying to think if anything quality happened this week. Oh! Ok so with the training sessions for the Preach My Gospel Marathon we normally receive training from the APs. But we had training from President Holmes on the restoration and the Book of Mormon and it was amazing. He truly helped me appreciate just how much Joseph Smith sacrificed for the organization of the church and how much that means to all of us; with the truth that we know today, nothing would have come to us if it hadn't been for Joseph Smith who was able to restore the message of Jesus Christ. Just as it was necessary in the bible for the prophets to be told God's plan for all of us, it needed to be communicated to another prophet for us in our time and I felt the weight of my responsibility of testifying of this truth and of the true existence of Jesus Christ. It was amazing!!
With training every day, I feel like it adds to our ability as missionaries to help the people we meet here on temple square/beehive house/humanitarian center because we're able to have that constant reminder of our purpose. It's been amazing.
Sister Barona and I had a great experience with a member named Rick and his friend Barry. Rick brought Barry here to temple square because of his zeal for the truth that families can be together forever. He had been a member all of his life, married in the temple, but hadn't felt the true significance of eternal families until he had had some health scares that brought to his attention how fleeting life can be. He then felt like he woke up and truly found his conviction in the gift that we've been given through Christ's sacrifice and how it is possible for us to exist as families and be with our families after we die. Barry's wife had recently passed away and Rick saw how hard it had been for him and wanted him to have the knowledge he had. So we showed him the movie "God's Plan for His Families" where it showed a family and different situations where they spent time together but also as they experienced the death of grandparents and found comfort in the knowledge that they would see those grandparents again. Barry said it was something he wanted to believe but just didn't know how he could know for sure. We invited him to have the missionaries tell him more and Rick told him how much it would mean to him if Barry would receive them. Barry accepted and I just pray that he'll be able to find his faith.
It was incredible.
Now this is too long but I wanted to finish with the crazy I talked with on the phone. It lasted for 30 minutes and he wanted free materials/movies from the church and I realize that this won't be that funny unless I can tell it in person. yep. Anyway, how is everyone doing? Any snow for you? how are your families? What are you doing for thanksgiving? Do you prefer real Christmas trees or fake ones? What's a Christmas tradition you do?
ok, that's enough for another two weeks don't you think? It's all so serious....sorry. I wish I could successfully tell the crazy story and I don't think I met anyone on the square that was too crazy. We've met a ton of just really good people. Last night there was this older chilean man that we had talked with before who always talks to me in spanish and a little english and I'm able to piece some of it together to get an idea of what he's saying. I only know some words and others cross over into english but it's all very entertaining. he's a really cute old man. He came with his wife and son last night and was wearing an ear-flap hat (is there a technical term for that??) and was talking about how cold is was and how he had never noticed the big dipper constellation on the temple (yep, there is one). It's fun.
be good. I hope you all have a happy holiday.
love,
Sister Hulet
P.S. Six months already! Can you believe it? I already have less than a year to go! I hate how fast time goes!!!

Post a Comment